Everyone knows that a successful marriage depends in large part on how well a couple communicates with each other. What should be natural, easy conversation can become discouraging or frustrating though when a wife feels that her husband isn’t really paying attention to what she has to say. If this becomes a pattern of interrelating, she may assume the worst about him and the relationship.
In this episode of the WifeSavers Podcast, “He Doesn’t Listen”, multi-award winning marriage author and educator, Ramona Zabriskie and her husband, Dale, answer a wife who is frustrated with her husband’s lack of engagement when she’s trying to talk with him.
THROW ME A WIFESAVER: “I would say one of the biggest struggles we have is communication. Sometimes I feel like it’s difficult for us to talk about the simplest things. It gets very tiresome to me because I don’t even feel like I can make a suggestion or offer my opinion because he doesn’t really listen. Or he starts to listen and then after a while he’ll check out or tune out. I’m definitely looking for better communication skills.”
Learn how to tweak your communication style so that he’s more likely to listen up!
Key Points in this podcast:
- The difference between casual and active listening
- Her POV: Five possible reasons you may think he’s not listening
- His POV: Eight explanations that are closer to the truth of it
- How your expectations and his attempts to listen get out of alignment
- Six strategies for optimizing his willingness to listen and engage
- How his listening skills can improve and mature as yours do
- Episode 18: To Transform Your Marriage in 2019: Focus on This
- Episode 16: Seeing Eye to Eye: What To Do When You Don’t
- Episode 11: Turning Negative Communication With Your Husband to the Positive
” I love how positive and joy-filled your discussions are. I feel like Dale brings a great, unfiltered and authentic perspective and I love listening to you both laugh with each other- it just makes me happy!! ✭✭✭✭✭” WS Podcast listener