When your partner is at their best, they are a positive energy source for you and the whole family: dreaming big, working hard, playing hard. But what happens if they lose their emotional and mental vitality? What are you supposed to do with their ongoing detachment, despondency, anxiety, anger, or pessimism? Depression is an isolating illness that can negatively impact relationships and leave loved ones feeling helpless and afraid.
In this episode of the WifeSavers Podcast, Dealing With Your Spouse’s Depression Positively, multi-award-winning marriage author and educator, Ramona Zabriskie, and her husband of 42+ years, Dale, discuss how spouses can come together when that “intangible-something” called depression or anxiety interferes with their ability to work, play, and even love.
THROW ME A WIFESAVER: “My spouse suffers from negativity/depression. I love him, but how do I enjoy time with him & feel connected? How do I even bring up to him that I think he’s depressed? Help!”
Key points in the podcast:
- The difference between depression, grief, and sadness
- The physical manifestations of depression inside the brain
- What depression and anxiety feel like to the person experiencing them
- What it feels like to be their spouse and what is in the spouse’s control
- The possible answers to “why won’t he talk to me?”
- The 4-step approach to a conversation on the subject
- How to explore and execute solutions together
- Real-wife examples of effective coping strategies
“I love, love, LOVE listening to this podcast! This is truly a gift to better understand myself and help him better understand me! If you are looking for a podcast that is uplifting and that will help you better understand–then this podcast is for you! It’s time happily and very well spent! ✮✭✭✭✭” Apple Podcast listener