Ever feel that your husband is too quick to express his disapproval, to point out your “mistakes”? Is his occasional or even chronic negativity towards you hurting the relationship?
Ramona and Dale answer a wife who suffers from a sense of bewilderment and betrayal every time her husband focuses on (what he perceives to be) her shortcomings. Listen and learn how a woman can negate or arrest his negativity by effectively discerning between—and optimally responding to—different types of criticism.
Throw Me a WifeSaver: “I often feel I am unappreciated and unfairly criticized by my spouse. When I have tried my best, and things are running smoothly in the household, I am still not measuring up in my husband’s eyes. I know this because of what he says. Help.”
- The three fears his criticism excites in her
- How his criticism violates three of her most essential needs or desires
- How to discern between the three types of criticism
- Ways she can respond effectively to each type of criticism, including exact phrases
- Understanding and managing toxic or chronic criticism
- The six behaviors to avoid when addressing or responding to his criticism
- Defining different forms of abuse
- Ten WifeSavers principles to keep in mind as she speaks her mind