What kind of relationship do you have with your mother-in-law? Is she a source of support for you and your family? Or of aggravation? How do the two of you go from feeling polite, distant, or competitive to warmth and friendship?
In this episode, multi-award-winning author and global marriage mentor and educator, Ramona Zabriskie and her husband, Dale, tackle this uniquely sensitive relationship in answering a wife who is unsure how to approach her husband’s mother, a woman she has a hard time being around, let alone connecting with.
Throw Me a WifeSaver! “The holidays are upon us and I would love to hear any wisdom you have with regard to dealing with mothers-in-law. We’ve been married for almost six years and this topic has come up many times in the past and has often created quite a big wedge between us in our marriage. I recognize that she doesn’t intend to hurt my feelings, but I need to develop some conflict strategies to learn how to deal with her. I’m more than open to any advice here.”
Listen and learn how to create (or improve upon!) a pleasant, productive relationship with your mother-in-law.
- Why this important relationship is worth the investment
- The specific fear that interferes in this relationship between women
- How the relationship may be impacted by stereotypes
- Understanding better her probable intentions and real desires
- Which of you bears the responsibility for improving things
- The three stages mothers and daughters-in-law must progress through and how
- Real examples of relationships that grew past misunderstanding and tension
- The three mantras that can change everything